[LLVMdev] Howdy + GIT

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+cl at mega-nerd.com
Fri Jan 16 03:26:58 PST 2015

Reid Spencer wrote:

> Convert to GIT

I am surprised noone has mentioned the one of the biggest advantages of
Git which is proper author attribution for non-core and drive-by patch
contributors. For example:

    https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/commit/8f9d11309a19003eb95cd63f098c71f7ddd7476c

lists Philip Reames as the Git author but for the commit message lists
artagnon at gmail. Seeing that makes me wonder, how many commits are
authored by one person and committed by another where that second person
*forgets* mention where the patch came from in the commit message.

As for all the reason why the LLVM project does not use Git, I wonder
why large complex projects like the Linux kernel, Wine, MinGW-w64,
GHC and many many others don't seem to have any major problems using
Git.

Erik