[LLVMdev] Is address space 1 reserved?

Philip Reames listmail at philipreames.com
Wed Jan 7 12:20:29 PST 2015

On 01/07/2015 11:57 AM, Nick Lewycky wrote:
> On 7 January 2015 at 11:25, Owen Anderson <resistor at mac.com
> <mailto:resistor at mac.com>> wrote:
>
>     I'm not aware of any such restriction, and I know of several LLVM
>     based systems that use address space 1 for something other than that.
>

> Oof. It was discussed when the patches to add addrspace were being
> considered, and this is why we should've written it down.
>
> It would be nice to have an addrspace that does mean "same as
> addrspace(0) except that null may be dereferenceable", and to attach
> that to -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks. Any ideas for what that
> addrspace should be?
 From what I can tell, that flag combines two semantics:
1) An object can live at null, null is dereferencable.
2) Null checks should not be eliminated base on a previous dereference
of that location.

I suspect most usage is for the second, probably for security mitigation
in legacy programs.  Using an address space seems like a great solution
for a use case which actually requires both, but I'd be tempted to try
something else for security mitigation.  I wonder how far we could get
performance wise by null checking *every* access and then optimizing
them away?  This is strictly stronger.

Returning from that tangent, I'm not arguing against the reservation of
such an address space.  Since we seem to have precedent for larger
numbers meaning reserved things, why don't we document the following?
0 - current meaning, default
1-127 - reserved for custom extensions, no defined special semantics in
upstream
128 - like address space zero, but null is dereferenceable
129-255 - reserved for future generic usage
256+ - reserved for generic target specific address spaces

(This is strictly a strawman proposal; I have no attachment to this
suggestion.)