[LLVMdev] "ran out of registers during register allocation"

reed kotler rkotler at mips.com
Fri Jan 2 14:24:08 PST 2015

I'm getting this error in RegAllocFast.cpp in compiling one source file
in test-suite as the result of a new Mips fast-isel patch
I was testing.

It apparently just generates bad code and continues?

   // Nothing we can do. Report an error and keep going with a bad
allocation.
   if (MI->isInlineAsm())
     MI->emitError("inline assembly requires more registers than
available");
   else
     MI->emitError("ran out of registers during register allocation");

How is it possible to run out of registers during register allocation? Lol.

Reed