[LLVMdev] Jump Theading/GVN bug - moving discussion to llvm-dev

Philip Reames listmail at philipreames.com
Wed Feb 25 11:02:06 PST 2015

On 02/25/2015 10:41 AM, Rafael EspĂ­ndola wrote:
>>> all the zero paths from entry to %a pass by %b.
>>
>> That is a graph-wise definition, sure.
>> So, this is an interesting definition, and maybe this is part of the source
>> of the problem.
>>
>> For SSA, at least GCC requires that both "definition block dominates use
>> block" (which would be true here), *and*
>> that "definition appears before use in block" (IE definition locally
>> dominates use).
>>
>> IE it has to pass both DT->dominates(block(%b), block(%a)) and
>> DT->dominates(%b, %a).
>>
>> LLVM special cases "not reachable from entry", and says that no matter what,
>> #2 is true if %a is unreachable.
>>
>> The code is, IMHO, not even self-consistent
>>

>>     // Any unreachable use is dominated, even if Def == User.
>>     if (!isReachableFromEntry(UseBB))
>>       return true;
>>
>>     // Unreachable definitions don't dominate anything.
>>     if (!isReachableFromEntry(DefBB))
>>       return false;
>>

>> Riddle me this: If unreachable definitions dominate nothing, how are
>> unreachable uses always dominated by their unreachable defs?
> I think the comment is just just missing an "otherwise" at the start.
>
> If we were to define dominance rules as you suggest, we would still accept
>
> define void @f() {
> bb0:
>    ret void
> bb1:
>    %a = getelementptr inbounds i8* %b, i64 1
>    ret void
> bb2:
>    %b = getelementptr inbounds i8* %a, i64 1
>    ret void
> }
>
> Since bb1 dominates bb2 and bb2 dominates bb1, no?
I think this a great example of how our current definition is
nonsensical and confusing.  :)

On the surface, it seems like having reachable code dominate unreachable
code should work, but then we get constructs like this:

define void @f() {
bb0:
   br i1 true, label %bb1, label %bb2
bb1:
   %a = getelementptr inbounds i8* %b, i64 1
   ret void
bb2:
   %b = getelementptr inbounds i8* %a, i64 1
   ret void
bb3:
   icmp eq i8* %a, %b
   ret void
  }

In this case, bb3 is dominated by all of bb1, bb2, and bb3 even though
there is no path which goes from bb2 to bb3 or vice versa. This seems
problematic.

What would be implications of making dominates assert is given an
unreachable block?  This seems like it would help isolate a lot of
bugs.  Callers need to know about unreachable blocks anyways, so why not
just make that explicit?

(To be clear, this proposal is *independent* of how we decide to handle
unreachable code *between* passes.  This can happen *within* a pass.)