[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] [3.6 Release] RC3 has been tagged

Jack Howarth howarth.mailing.lists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 11:52:49 PST 2015

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 2:38 PM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> wrote:
> On 18 February 2015 at 18:48, Jack Howarth
> <howarth.mailing.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Define users. If compiler developers, your argument holds. For other
>> users who just want a stable compiler, the argument does not.
>
> Ok, let's turn this conversation upside down. What is *your* use for
> LLVM, and why is the release 3.6.0 so important for *you*?

Renato,
      In the fink project (http://finkproject.org), we have maintained
llvm packaging for each new release for awhile now...

http://fink.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/fink/dists/10.7/stable/main/finkinfo/languages/llvm35.info?revision=1.3

Since the completion of the merge of clang-omp support always seems to
be one release away, starting with the 3.4.2 release I added a merge
of the clang-omp changes from upstream to our packaging so that we
have fully functional libiomp5 support. Assuming that the clang-omp
developers can find time to rebase their upstream tree on the new 3.6
release, I intend to do the same for the fink llvm36 packaging. So
yes, a stable compiler does matter to some folks.
          Jack