[LLVMdev] RFC: Recursive inlining

Rafael Auler rafaelauler at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 11:40:51 PST 2015

Sorry for jumping late into this thread, I'm quite late in my mail reading
after CGO. Here's my experience with this topic (I presented this on a
binary translation workshop of CGO):

I sort of stumbled upon this transformation by accident in the last year. I
do research with binary translation and LLVM -- I have a prototype that
reads MIPS binary code and mimics the behavior of a MIPS guest machine with
LLVM IR code, and then use an LLVM backend to emulate the guest code on
other host machines (x86 and ARM).

I guess you already see where this is going after all this state machine
discussion. One day I decided to experiment with MIPS function calls being
modelled in the IR as jumps to basic blocks instead of calls to LLVM
functions. In this way, the whole MIPS program would be translated into a
single LLVM function, removing any recursion, if present.

After this, two of my very simple benchmarks (Fibonacci and Ackermann, two
recursive ones) began to show better performance *after* being compiled to
MIPS and then retranslated to x86, which didn't make sense, because binary
translation always imposes some overhead that comes from emulating the
behavior of another machine. Upon further investigation, the culprit was
that the recursive functions were transformed into a loop in a way that is
similar to what you described: the stack you refer to is my MIPS guest
stack that I need to emulate on top of x86. Nothing special, I'm just
emulating a processor in software, so, upon hitting a return instruction, I
check the return address to decide to which basic block to jump to (whether
it's time to exit the loop or not), similar to your control.

The performance gain was so expressive that it was mitigating the binary
translator overhead and yet beating native x86 performance by 2x in the
first implementation (LLVM 3.3 running in an old Intel Core2quad). Now in
trunk and running on a recent processor, it is a much more modest speedup
of 20%. But I only observed this for simple benchmarks, such as Fibonacci
and Ackermann. If you didn't implement this transformation yet and you are
curious about its impact, I can test this framework with other simple
workloads, as long as it doesn't break my prototype :-) It's not ideal
though, since it has a considerable overhead from emulating a guest MIPS
platform.

However, when translating to ARM, I could not observe the same gains seen
on x86 because the way I performed the binary translation imposed a higher
overhead on ARM (Cortex A9) platforms than on x86 (Haswell) ones.

Here are the results for LLVM trunk of Jan 19 (my last rebase). I'm using
the full -O3 opt pipeline after I translate the code:

Fibonacci:
Native x86:  1.56s
Translated MIPS to x86:   1.26s  (-20.75%)

Native ARM:  6.42s
Translated MIPS to ARM: 6.49s  (overhead of 9%)

Ackermann:
Native x86:  0.94s
Translated MIPS to x86: 0.57s (-38.30%)

Regards,