[LLVMdev] Moving towards a singular pointer type

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 14:44:52 PST 2015

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 2:24 PM, deadal nix <deadalnix at gmail.com> wrote:

> I kind of agree with that sentiment. I has various bugs in my projects
> catched by typechecking on pointer in the past, so this change will come at
> a real cost.
>
> As I understand it, the main adantage of that change is to get rid of
> various bitcasts. Would that be possible to have a ptr_bitcast flag in
> memory operation, indicating that the pointer type needs to be ignored ?

You mean leave pointer types in the IR but flag operations (like geps and
loads) to indicate that they shouldn't care about the type of their
operands? That'd still not get us the canonicalization benefits (store and
gep would still produce a type that depends on its operand, etc).

I think if we want the extra safety we could, after introducing the ptr
type, add a no-op cast (like bitcast) that just documents the change in
type so that, say, store to load could be verified. This still wouldn't
provide the current convenience of pointee types in the LLVM IR APIs, but
it /could/ be retrieved with some effort (oh, the load instruction says
load an int, the ptr operand is a store instruction of... an int, etc).

- David