[LLVMdev] Segfault when using llvm-3.6 and OpenGL at the same time on Linux (with mesa, which uses llvm-3.4)

Daniel Albuschat d.albuschat at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 11:15:09 PST 2015

> On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 10:38:52PM +0100, Daniel Albuschat wrote:
> > Hello there,
> >
> > tl;dr:
> > Is it a known behaviour that using llvm-3.4 and llvm-3.6 at the same time
> > in the same process (while llvm-3.6 is used from a linked shared library
> > and llvm-3.4 is dlopen'ed - with a strange detail: Especially if
> -rdynamic
> > is used when linking the program).
> > If so, is there a workaround?
> > If not, can it be fixed in llvm-3.6?
>
> The NVIDIA proprietary driver does not use mesa at all.  Also based on
> your backtrace, you are using llvmpipe and not nouveau.

Yeah, the backtrace was created from within VirtualBox. That driver, and
the nouveau driver, cause the same issue. The VMWare driver, too.

> I'm not a linking expert, but I have seen and fixed a few of these issues
> with Mesa.  In most cases the fix is to make sure that the llvm symbols
> in the mesa driver and also the llvm symbols in your application aren't
> being exported as global symbols.

How do I have control about how llvm symbols are being exported?

nm reports no exported symbols matching llvm:

daniel at ubuntu32-dev:~/projects/llvmcrash$ nm libcrashme.so | grep llvm
         U _ZN4llvm11LLVMContextC1Ev
         U _ZN4llvm11LLVMContextD1Ev

Thanks!
Daniel