[LLVMdev] LLVM as an OpenGL backend

Sam Kellett samkellett at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 08:06:10 PST 2015

Would it be feasible to compile LLVM IR into shading language assembler? If
so, is this already being done?

This would provide the obvious benefits of not having to differentiate
between GLSL and HLSL (et al.) and the pleasure of using some other
language to write and test the shader's that have support as an LLVM
frontend.

I've googled and found nothing about this. The only LLVM and OpenGL talk I
can find it about Apple using it in Leopard but I don't think that's the
same thing as this is it?

There may so much fundamentally wrong with my understanding of the LLVM
stack that comes through by asking this question so I'm sorry in advance if
that's the case!

Cheers,
Sam