[LLVMdev] C++ demangler for llvm tools

Michael Spencer bigcheesegs at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 16:41:18 PST 2015

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Sumanth Gundapaneni
<sgundapa at codeaurora.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>       AFAIK, the tools “symbolizer, objdump and nm” need a demangler.
>
> I see there is libcxxabi which provides the demangle library. But there is
> no support to build libcxxabi on windows with MSVC.
>
> This left a huge void and my symbolizer cannot work on Windows if built with
> MSVC.
>

> Instead of mucking around OS dependencies, why shouldn’t we have a demangle
> library in LLVM.
>
> I already have this implementation locally and it works fine for me on both
> Linux and Windows.
>

> Any thoughts ?

Lots of people want this, but nobody has had the time yet. It would
need to support both the itanium and msvc manglings, and be resilient
against malicious mangled names (it's possible to construct ~200 byte
names that expand out to multiple GiBs).

- Michael Spencer