[LLVMdev] About python requirement, can down to 2.6 for rhel 6?

ownsshaim at aol.com ownsshaim at aol.com
Thu Feb 5 20:15:59 PST 2015

Hello, I notice llvm begin require python atleast 2.7,
Then I saw the commit log

>>> Require python 2.7.
>>>
>>> We were already requiring 2.5, which meant that people on old linux distros
>>> had to upgrade anyway.
>>>
>>> Requiring python 2.6 will make supporting 3.X easier as we can use the 3.X
>>> exception syntax.
>>>
>>> According to the discussion on llvmdev, there is not much value is requiring
>>> just 2.6, we may as well just require 2.7.

I'm using rhel 6 so the default python version is still 2.6,
down the requirement to 2.6 will help rhel 6 a little bit.

Here is python 2.7 features
https://docs.python.org/3/whatsnew/2.7.html
Is these fetures must be use?

Ofcource I can build python 2.7 myself or use rhel software collections,
but it will make the software I built on llvm require python 2.7 too.

If python 2.6 is ok I hope llvm require this version for the years until switch to python 3.