[LLVMdev] [RFC] Progress report on CMake build system's ability to replace autoconf

Jonathan Roelofs jroelofs.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 11:47:02 PST 2015

On 2/3/15 12:08 PM, Chris Bieneman wrote:
> Here's the outstanding work and my (not necissarily correct) view of the status and importance of each one:
>
> * Bug 14109 - CMake build for compiler-rt should use just-built clang
>    - Still waiting for patches, I don't think this is a blocker

We consider this one a blocker. We shouldn't be assuming that we have
available a compiler capable of doing build->target or host->target,
other than the host->target one that is the just-built clang.

I've heard discussions in the past about this restriction of cmake, but
I don't remember the details. Is this something where we could up the
minimum required version of cmake to get features we'd need to use in
the CMakeLists.txt's? Is there a way to work around it?

Having a bootstrap flag for the cmake configure would make it less of a
blocker, though I'd still prefer not to have to boostrap every build.
IIRC, Chandler has some notes on the right way to pull that off.

Cheers,

Jon