[LLVMdev] RFC: Recursive inlining

mats petersson mats at planetcatfish.com
Thu Feb 5 09:00:36 PST 2015

Pablo, Most of the time the ABI only requires saving of registers that
are actually used in the function. So there may be cases where those
will not need saving, but at the same time, chances are that the loop
version will have to save/restore approximately the same amount of
context - and the caller-save registers [including return address] are
part of the callee context in recursion.

But yes, there is a small chance that the loop version saves on
"save/restore register on stack".

If the stack grows more than in actual recursion, then it's probably
questionable if the inlining/unwinding of the recursion is worth doing
- since most of the purpose here is to avoid the call/return and
argument passing - but if the code ends up saving/restoring MORE data,
it's unlikely to be of benefit [in my limited understanding of the
problem].

--
Mats