[LLVMdev] Debug info not preserved by llvm-as (LLParser)?

Peter Zion Peter.Zion at fabricengine.com
Mon Feb 2 15:46:07 PST 2015

Hi there,

If I run:

  clang -S -emit-llvm -o - -g test.c

for a trivial test.c I see debug info in the IR as expected.  However, if I run:

  clang -S -emit-llvm -o - -g test.c | llvm-as | llvm-dis

the debug info is stripped.  Is this intentional?  If so, is there a way to force the debug metadata to make its way through the pipeline?  This is on either LLVM 3.5 or LLVM 3.4.

This has come up for me because I was hoping to provide IR in place of source code in a certain part of our application and while it works any unit tests that rely on debug info are broken.  Tracking down the issue let me to this.

Peter Zion