[LLVMdev] RFC: Proposal for Poison Semantics

Bruce Hoult bruce at hoult.org
Sun Feb 1 02:44:53 PST 2015

I don't know how things work at the moment, but it seems to me that you can
do lots of sensible things, and avoid lots of silly things, if you keep
track of four possible values for each bit:

- undef (the default)
- poison
- known to be 0
- known to be 1

This makes both David's and Chandler's examples work nicely if you assume:

- ZEXT makes all the new bits known 0
- SEXT makes all the new bits the same as the high bit
- AND clears unknown and poison bits to known 0 if the other input is known
0
- OR sets unknown and poison bits to known 1 if the other input is known 1

Also things such as ZEXTing a poison i32 to i64 and then right shifting by
32 will result in all known 0 bits.