[llvm-dev] Unusual file size for libs

vivek pandya via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 30 20:23:27 PST 2015

> > Hello,
> >
> > I am building llvm and clang with following options
> -*DLIBCLANG_BUILD_STATIC=ON
> > -DCMAKE_OSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.10 -DCMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT=`xcrun
> > --show-sdk-path` *
> > Here I want to use libclang with OS X application and minimum deployment
> > target for my app is 10.10 . But this build command generates around 7 GB
> > of libs. This is unusual. For example normal build will generate
> > libLLVMCodeGen.a of size 4 MB but with above mentioned Cmake option it
> > generates 25 MB . Is it due to I am building on 10.11 OS X and minimum
> > required target is set to 10.10 ?
> > Please explain .
>
> Have you disabled debugging?

No build type is debug but previously when I didn't pass
 -DCMAKE_OSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.10 -DCMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT=`xcrun options ,
with Debug build type size is very less. 7 GB is very unusual.
http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html according to this guide even with
Debug build type total size could go about 3 GB .

-Vivek