[llvm-dev] r250501 adds dependancy to ole32.dll on MSVC

Jakob Bornecrantz via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 23 10:55:06 PST 2015

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 5:49 PM, Aaron Ballman <aaron at aaronballman.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 11:29 AM, Jakob Bornecrantz via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> I'm building on Windows x64 using cmake, Ninja and VS 2013 express on Windows 7.
>>
>> So I have been using the LLVMSharp method on getting a usable loadable
>> LLVM.dll[1][2].
>>
>> This have worked out of the box before so it is a regression, I
>> tracked it down to commit r250501.
>
> Oh, interesting, CoTaskMemFree() is from OLE32. That's a typical MSVC
> link library, so I'm not certain why that is not included already in
> the project. Indeed, every executable target I check has OLE32.dll in
> its linker input. Is this an issue with whatever is generating
> LLVM.dll for you, or is there a specific target that is missing this
> linker input?

Thanks for the reply.

I have to warn that I am not a windows dev and I'm coming from the
Linux world so my knowledge is limited.

I have attached a patch that fixes my issue (apologies for the format,
only have a git checkout of llvm handy and I could not get git diff or
git format-patch to output a svn formatted patch as per the developer
page).

Further investigation show that for the MinGW build OLE32 is added to
the dependencies for LLVMSupport.lib in the CMakeLists.txt file, there
are a couple of other libraries added as well. This lead me to find
that those where added for the MSVC build with a pragma(lib, xx), so I
added such a pragma for OLE32 and that fixes my script that is
generating LLVM.dll, will also fix other peoples problems with OLE32
missing as well.

Some info on the script, it uses dumpbin to get a list of symbols
which (filtered to only include ones starting with LLVM*) from all of
the .libs produced by the build. These are then merged and linked into
LLVM.dll using the filtered list as a export file.

Cheers, Jakob.