[llvm-dev] RFC: Extending atomic loads and stores to floating point and vector types

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 11 12:05:54 PST 2015

On 12/11/2015 12:05 AM, JF Bastien wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 3:22 AM, Philip Reames via llvm-dev
>
>     Currently, we limit atomic loads and stores to either pointer or
>     integer types.  I would like to propose that we extend this to
>     allow both floating point and vector types which meet the other
>     requirements.  (i.e. power-of-two multiple of 8 bits, and aligned)
>

> I support this.
Great.  I'll prepare a patch and send it for review.

>     This will enable a couple of follow on changes:
>     1) Teaching the vectorizer how to vectorize unordered atomic loads
>     and stores
>     2) Removing special casing around type canonicalization of loads
>     in various passes
>     3) Removing complexity from language frontends which need to
>     support atomic operations on floating point types.
>

> This may become relevant for C++, see http://wg21.link/p0020r0
>

>     My initial implementation plan will not require any changes from
>     the backends.  I plan to add a lowering step to the existing
>     AtomicExpandPass which will convert atomic operations on floats
>     and vectors to their equivalently sized integer counterparts.
>     Over time, individual backends will be able to opt in - via a TTI
>     hook - to have the new types of atomics handled by the normal isel
>     machinery.
>
>     I've prototyped this approach with the x86 backend and get what
>     looks like correct and even fairly efficient instruction selection
>     taking place.  I haven't studied it too extensively, so it might
>     not work out in the end, but the approach appears generally feasible.
>

> Simpler path that D11382 <http://reviews.llvm.org/D11382>, generating
> the same code?
Actually, I think I was relying on exactly that change.  :)

My initial implementation just converts "store atomic float 0.0, float*
%p unordered, align 4" to
%p.i = bitcast float* %p to i32*
%v = bitcast float 0.0 to i32
store atomic i32 %v, i32* %p.i unordered, align 4

(i.e. it just does what the frontend previously did in the AtomicExpand.)

The net result is that the backend still sees the bitcast idioms you
added pattern matching for.  Once that parts in, I'll start changing the
canonical form the backend expects, but given that's backend specific, I
wanted a migration mechanism which worked for all backends.

p.s. There's still lots of work to do to improve isel for atomic loads
and stores on these types.  I plan to eventually get there, but my first
focus is on a) functional correctness, and b) getting the middle-end
optimizers fixed up.

>     One open question I don't know the answer to: Are there any
>     special semantics required from floating point stores which aren't
>     met by simply bitcasting their result to i32 (float) or i64
>     (double) and storing the result?  In particular, I'm unsure of the
>     semantics around canonicalization here.  Are there any? Same for
>     loads?
>

> I'd go a bit further: should you also support basic FP operations
> atomically? The above C++ paper adds add/sub, and we've discussed
> adding FMA as well.
Just to be clear, I assume you mean extending the atomicrmw, and cmpxchg
instructions right?  I agree this is worth doing, but I'm purposely
separating that into a possible later proposal.  I don't need this right
now and keeping the work scoped reasonably is key to making progress.

> This raises similar issues around FP exceptions (are they
> impl-defined, UB, unspecified? Do we care?).
In practice, we seem not to care.  This is much broader than my
proposal, and I have no opinions on what the right solutions here are.

Philip