[llvm-dev] [LLVMdev] Path forward on profile guided inlining?

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 10 16:51:45 PST 2015

On 12/10/2015 04:29 PM, Xinliang David Li wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 4:00 PM, Philip Reames
> <listmail at philipreames.com> wrote:
>> Given I didn't get any response to my original query, I chose not to invest
>> time in this at the time.  I am unlikely to get time for this in the near
>> future.
>>
>> On 12/07/2015 03:13 PM, Easwaran Raman wrote:
>>
>> (Resending after  removing llvmdev at cs.uiuc.edu and using
>> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org)
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 3:08 PM, Easwaran Raman <eraman at google.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Philip,
>>>
>>>   Is there any update on this? I've been sending patches to get rid of the
>>> callee hotness based inline hints from the frontend and move the logic to
>>> the inliner. The next step is to use the callsite hotness instead. I also
>>> want to focus on the infrastructure to enable this and what I've been
>>> experimenting with is similar to your two alternative approaches:

>>> My proposal is very similar (perhaps identical) to your option 2 above. I
>>> don't understand the part where you talk about adjusting the visit order to
>>> minimize BFI computation.
>>>
>>> BFI computation:  BFI for a function is computed on demand and cached.
>> The problem here is that the old pass manager does not have a place/way to
>> cache the function level analysis.  You could do this within the inliner
>> itself, but the function passes run by the SCC pass manager will invalidate
>> everything.  That's the problem I was trying to solve.
> Easwaran's proposal does not rely on the analysis pass framework of
> the legacy pass manager -- that is the key idea. BFI info is designed
> in a way such that it can be computed on-demand.
>
> BFI for the caller will be incrementally updated during inlining, but
> after inlining is done for a node, the BFI info will be explicitly
> invalidated for that node due to the function passes run later by SCC
> pass manager.  This is expected.
Just to make sure, you're aware this will cost at least one
re-computation per iteration in CGPassManager::runOnModule right? If
that's expected and acceptable, then yes, the approach you seem to be
describing should be workable.

Particularly as an intermediate step to parallelize work with the new
pass manager, this sounds very much worthwhile.

>>> Update: When 'bar' gets inlined into 'foo', the BFI for 'foo' is updated.
>>> Let OldBB in 'bar' gets cloned as NewBB in 'foo'.  NewBB's block frequency
>>> can be incrementally computed from OldBB's block frequency, entry block
>>> frequency of 'bar' and the frequency of the block containing the 'foo' ->
>>> 'bar' callsite. Even when the new CGSCC level BFI analysis is in place, this
>>> incremental update is useful to minimize computation.
>>>
>>> Invalidation:  Once inlining is completed in an SCC (at the end of
>>> runOnSCC), the entries for functions in that SCC are invalidated since other
>>> passes run by the CGSCC pass manager (including those run by the function
>>> pass manager run under CGSCC pass manager) might affect the computed BFI for
>>> the functions in the SCC.
>> This sounds like you're essentially planning to extend the old pass manager
>> with function level analysis support in the SCC pass manager.  I advise
>> against this given the fact that Chandler is actively working on the new one
>> and getting patches reviewed for the old one is "challenging" at best.  If
>> you take this approach, make sure Chandler - who is pretty much the only
>> active reviewer in this area - is on-board with your approach before you
>> start.
> There is no plan to extend old pass manager for this capability.  The
> proposed solution is intended to work with the new pass manager too,
> so there is no conflict here. The BFI book-keeping by inliner can be
> removed with pass manager change is in place.
Thanks for the clarification.