[llvm-dev] Allowing virtual registers after register allocation

Smith, Kevin B via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 10 10:04:49 PST 2015

I definitely agree that having virtual regs after RA sounds like a hack.

But I also don't know why it would be desirable to introduce infinite register classes. The WebAsm folks are already saying that they would like to do register allocation to target a fixed/limited number (might be large though) of "virtual registers".  So, instead of calling these virtual registers, why not call them physical registers, and have a fixed number of them, that corresponds to the number that is desired to allocate to.  Or, you could have the number of registers to use be run-time selectable in some manner by just having the physical register set be larger than is ever planned to be used by that particular CG, and having run-time controls to restrict the set of allocatable physical registers.

Kevin Smith