[llvm-dev] persuading licm to do the right thing

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 10 09:54:09 PST 2015

----- Original Message -----

At what point in the pipeline do you intend to run these tools? We do have some LICM, CSE, etc. capabilities late in the pipeline (at the SDAG and MI level), and we already so some GEP splitting in CodeGenPrep just before instruction selection. Once GEPs are fully decomposed during SDAG construction these later optimizations should do the things you describe. That having been said, they have known limitations in this area, but ideally we should all work together on improving that infrastructure.

 -Hal

> [...]
>
> %0 = load double* %arrayidx, align 8, !tbaa !1
>
> %add = fadd double %sum.05, %0
>
> %inc = add nsw i64 %i.06, 1
>
> %exitcond = icmp eq i64 %inc, %n
>
> br i1 %exitcond, label %for.end, label %for.body
>

> for.end: ; preds = %for.body, %entry
>
> %sum.0.lcssa = phi double [ 0.000000e+00, %entry ], [ %add, %for.body
> ]
>
> ret double %sum.0.lcssa
>
> }
>

> attributes #0 = { nounwind readonly uwtable
> "less-precise-fpmad"="false" "no-frame-pointer-elim"="false"
> "no-infs-fp-math"="false" "no-nans-fp-math"="false"
> "stack-protector-buffer-size"="8" "unsafe-fp-math"="false"
> "use-soft-float"="false" }
>

> !llvm.ident = !{!0}
>

> !0 = metadata !{metadata !"Clang Front-End version 3.4.1
> (tags/RELEASE_34/final)"}
>
> !1 = metadata !{metadata !2, metadata !2, i64 0}
>
> !2 = metadata !{metadata !"double", metadata !3, i64 0}
>
> !3 = metadata !{metadata !"omnipotent char", metadata !4, i64 0}
>
> !4 = metadata !{metadata !"Simple C/C++ TBAA"}
>

> (I included all the metadata and such for the 2nd case, on the off
> chance it matters.)
>

> Is there any way I can convince licm (or something) to rip open the
> GEP and hoist the reference to @v outside the loop, similar to the
> first example?
>

> I believe that in the second case, there is no need to load the
> address of v as it is constant. However you have a constant address
> to an array, which is represented by [10000 x double]* @v in the IR,
> which requires to use the two-level GEP.
>

> You “could” manage to represent it this way:
>

> define double @zap(i64 %n) #0 {
> entry:
> %cmp6 = icmp sgt i64 %n, 0
> %hoisted = bitcast [10000 x double]* @v to double*
> br i1 %cmp6, label %for.body.preheader, label %for.cond.cleanup
>
> for.body.preheader: ; preds = %entry
> br label %for.body
>
> for.cond.cleanup.loopexit: ; preds = %for.body
> %add.lcssa = phi double [ %add, %for.body ]
> br label %for.cond.cleanup
>
> for.cond.cleanup: ; preds = %for.cond.cleanup.loopexit, %entry
> %sum.0.lcssa = phi double [ 0.000000e+00, %entry ], [ %add.lcssa,
> %for.cond.cleanup.loopexit ]
> ret double %sum.0.lcssa
>
> for.body: ; preds = %for.body.preheader, %for.body
> %i.08 = phi i64 [ %inc, %for.body ], [ 0, %for.body.preheader ]
> %sum.07 = phi double [ %add, %for.body ], [ 0.000000e+00,
> %for.body.preheader ]
> %arrayidx = getelementptr double, double* %hoisted, i64 %i.08
> %0 = load double, double* %arrayidx, align 8, !tbaa !2
> %add = fadd double %sum.07, %0
> %inc = add nuw nsw i64 %i.08, 1
> %exitcond = icmp eq i64 %inc, %n
> br i1 %exitcond, label %for.cond.cleanup.loopexit, label %for.body
> }
>

> However instcombine will recanonicalize it like it was originally.
>

> Since it is a GEP that operate on a constant address, this shouldn’t
> matter, why would you want to split this?

Hal Finkel
Assistant Computational Scientist
Leadership Computing Facility
Argonne National Laboratory