[llvm-dev] Dynamic Fault Injection with LLVM

John Criswell via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 10 06:21:20 PST 2015

On 12/10/15 12:06 AM, Andres Torres Garcia via llvm-dev wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I want to use LLVM to make a dynamic fault injection. My primary goal
> is to modify the value of a particular register in a particular
> instruction  and do, for example, bit flipping on that register.

By dynamic, do you mean that you want to change which faults are
injected while the program is running, or is it sufficient to recompile
the program and rerun it when you want to inject new faults?

Also, are you wanting to inject faults at the LLVM IR level, or do you
want to inject faults after the program's machine code has been
generated (e.g., you want to inject faults into a particular register)?

The answers to these questions will determine whether you need to write
an LLVM IR pass or an LLVM MachineFunction pass (or whether you really
want to be modifying a dynamic binary translator like QEMU/Valgrind
instead of using LLVM).

> I've studying some tutorials and codes about LLVM but I'm still not
> sure how to begin with. I know that I need to program a LLVM pass that
> iterates over blocks and check which instruction modify to later check
> which operand in that instruction modify. Is that the correct?

I think the first three documents to read are:

1) How to Write an LLVM Pass
2) The LLVM Programmer's Manual
3) The LLVM Language Reference Manual

The first document explains how to add a new analysis/transform to the
compiler.  The second explains some of the utility functions and idioms
that you will see in existing LLVM code.  The third describes (in gory
detail) the LLVM IR instruction set.

Regards,

John Criswell

--