[llvm-dev] Allowing virtual registers after register allocation

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 9 15:02:15 PST 2015

----- Original Message -----

I think this makes sense, and generally speaking, I think it will be good for us to have better support for VM targets without fixed-sized register sets.

Bikeshedding: usesVirtualRegstersAfterRegAlloc() - Are you actually "allocating" virtual registers, or just using the ones that the infrastructure already provides? Is the answer the same for the NVPTX backend? Maybe something like: targetLacksPhysicalRegissters() would be better?

> The actual change to PrologEpilogInserter itself is quite minimal,
> but we thought we'd ask a wider audience for feedback since it's a
> target-independent change. For WebAssembly we would implement
> prolog/epilog insertion and FrameIndex elimination but most of the
> rest of the PEI code (dealing with callee-saved registers,
> scavenging) does nothing.
>
> For other reference the NVPTX backend currently disables the
> PrologEpilogInserter pass but has its own pass which is just a copy
> (inevitably slightly out-of-date) of PEI with the irrelevant bits
> just deleted; it could probably be updated to use this mechanism
> too.

That sounds good improvement.

 -Hal

> Any comments?