[llvm-dev] Immediate value boundary checking

Sky Flyer via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 7 03:51:27 PST 2015

Dear all,

I have written an assembler which reads assembly instructions and produces
the equivalent binary. I have a problem. Although I set the bit range and
immediate type for an instruction like add which accepts a register and an
immediate value, I can simply overflow that value and llvm/tablegen doesn't
care!

for example for a i8imm imm value (bits<8> val) these two produce the same
output:

add r0 0
add r0 256

whose responsibility is to check the integer boundary in the assembly
parser?

Cheers,
ES