[llvm-dev] analyzePhysReg question

Smith, Kevin B via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 4 15:17:09 PST 2015

I noticed a similar problem with ah when asking about eax for x86.

An interesting thing is that for my purposes (and why I am looking into this), I kind of want to ignore "certain" sub registers.  The actual problem I am trying to solve

is to be at an instruction like:

ax = movw mem
or
al = movb mem

and be able to ask whether any part of rax is live other than the part that is clearly being defined by the move.  computeRegisterLiveness seems the right place to do that,
but I don't think the exact same interface currently in use cannot solve what I want and solve http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-Mon-20140317/209514.html

my expectation is that computeRegisterLiveness should return LQR_OverlappingLive whenever a sub-reg or super-reg is live, but the exact register that was passed in, is not live.

Does that sound like the right to you folks?

Kevin