[llvm-dev] RFC: New function attribute HasInaccessibleState

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 4 09:42:05 PST 2015

----- Original Message -----

The concerns around LTO here, while legitimate, apply only to a very-specific kind of LTO: An LTO which includes the definitions of the libc. This is actually quite tricky to support, semantically, and already breaks our malloc aliasing assumptions. There are many legitimate uses of LLVM, both for statically-compiled code and for JIT'd code, that depend on a visibility boundary between certain core runtime services and the user code being compiled to provide for effective optimization.

So, yes, this will break LTO when you include libc itself in the optimization process. We already don't support this (we'd need, at least, to adjust our malloc noalias assumptions, if not many other things). I don't think this is a major concern.

I think we need to go back and look at the underlying use case (as I understand it): GlobalAA should be able to figure out that calls to malloc/free don't touch global variables visible to the optimizer. How do we address this problem?

Thanks again,
Hal

Hal Finkel
Assistant Computational Scientist