[llvm-dev] [RFC] [ARM] Execute only support

Tim Northover via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 4 09:11:42 PST 2015

On 4 December 2015 at 02:38, Christof Douma via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Would such a feature be accepted upstream?

I think so. It sounds like a very useful feature with the way things
are moving these days.

The outline sounds pretty sane too. What are your plans for -fPIC,
particularly GOT accesses? I couldn't see any obviously useful
relocations for materialising GOT entries with movw/movt in the ELF
ABI.

> For floating point literals, use movw/movt/vmov instead of a literal pool.

Another option is moving litpools to one of the data sections (as they
are in AArch64, for example). I'm not sure exactly where the crossover
is, but I'd be a little surprised if movw/movt/vmov was more efficient
for 128-bit constants.

Cheers.

Tim.