[llvm-dev] RFC: alloca -- specify address space for allocation

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 31 10:14:18 PDT 2015

A couple of minor responses inline, but I think we're mostly in
agreement here.

On 08/28/2015 09:30 PM, Swaroop Sridhar wrote:
> [...]
Slight restatement: The only legal address space for an alloca is zero
today.  As a result, blindly creating addrspace zero allocas is correct
by construction.  If we introduced additional address spaces for
allocas, then it would become a problem.

>>> You might need N to be a distinct address space from
>>> the one used for GC-pointers and to have similar casts emitted by the frontend.
> Yes, eventually we'll need to differentiate between:
> (i) Pointers to unmanaged memory -- which will never be reported to the runtime
> (ii) Pointers to GC-heap objects -- which will always be reported to the runtime
> (iii) Generic managed pointer -- which may need to be reported if we cannot establish that it points outside the GC heap.
>
> Currently we report all pointers to the runtime as managed pointers.
> This is inefficient because the GC then needs to do extra work to figure out what kind of pointer it is:
> Pointer to a heap object, pointer within a heap object, or outside the heap.
Unless I misunderstand you, it really sounds like the distinction
between a 'generic managed pointer' and a 'managed pointer which happens
to point outside the gc heap' is purely an optimization right?  I'm
generally hesitant to introduce new concepts for optimization benefit
without evidence that the optimization is needed.  I'll note that I have
no direct experience with a language with GC and stack based allocation,
so it's possible I'm underestimating how important this is.

Side note: One of the things that's really bugging me is that you seem
to be optimizing for work performed by the collector at safepoints.  My
mental model is that safepoints are infrequent and that a minor amount
of additional work at the safepoint doesn't really matter.  What am I
missing here?  Polling for a safepoint has to happen pretty frequently,
but we don't need to parse the stack unless we actually call into the
collector right?

>> Of course, having said that all, I'm back to thinking that having a marker on
>> the alloca would be somewhat reasonable too.  However, I think we need a
>> much stronger justification to change the IR than has been provided.  If you
>> can show that the cast based model doesn't work for some reason, we can
>> re-evaluate.
> I don't think we can say that the cast-based model will not work.
> The question is whether alloca addrspace(1)* is a better fit for MSIL semantics, analysis phases,
> and managed-code specific optimizations.
>
> I'm OK if we conclude that we'll keep using the cast model until we hit a concrete case
> where it does not work, or seems architecturally misfit.
Great.  We can revisit if needed.

>> Worth noting is that we might be better off introducing an orthogonal notion
>> for tracking gc references entirely.  The addrspace mechanism has worked,
>> but it is a little bit of a hack. We've talked about the need for an opaque
>> pointer type.  Maybe when we actually get around to defining that, the alloca
>> case is one we should consider.
> Yes, I'm mainly concerned about getting the right types on the different kinds of
> pointers. If adders space annotation implies more constraints (ex: on layout) than
> what's already necessitated by the type distinction, we should use a separate
> mechanism.
Me too honestly.  I think we need to address this relative soon. Not
immediately, but probably not 5 years from now either.