[llvm-dev] LLVM compiling

Martell Malone via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 28 23:45:26 PDT 2015

> Why are there two ways to compile LLVM?
>         make and cmake!
> What's the difference of those two ways?

make and cmake are used together not separately.
cmake is a high level generator that creates a makefile for make

You may however be confusing make with autotools.
autotools like cmake generates a makefile for make to use.

autotools is an older tool typically used by gcc so it was natural for
llvm/clang to adopt this
llvm as a project is moving towards only having cmake as the high level
generator.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong but the autotools build will be
deprecated soon
so I suggest you use cmake when building

Kind Regards
Martell