[llvm-dev] RFC: alloca -- specify address space for allocation

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 28 09:37:55 PDT 2015

On 08/27/2015 04:24 PM, Swaroop Sridhar wrote:
> Inline.

Rather than explaining what your expectations are, can you explain why?
For example, I'm assuming here that you need to report stack based
objects exclusively for determining liveness of objects they might
contain pointers to (i.e. identifying roots).  I'm assuming that the
actual stack allocation does not get any special magic handling by the
GC other than marking through it.  Correct?

> Wrt the RewriteStatepointsForGC phase:
> If we know that a particular managed pointer is definitely coming from an alloca, it is OK to not report it, and not insert relocations.
> However, sometimes we cannot tell this unambiguously, if a managed pointer comes from a PHI(alloca pointer, heap pointer).
This is a sound point.  So the conservatively correct thing to do is to
relocate all SSA pointers which are either heap objects or stack objects
(e.g. all managed pointers in your terms).  An inference pass which
proved that a particular SSA value was based on an alloca (address of a
stack object) would not need to be relocated, but would need to be
tracked for liveness purposes?  Right now, we really don't have that
distinction (live vs needing relocation) within
RewriteStatepointsForGC.  Do we need to add it?

(Also, I've been expecting to see patches from you fixing bugs in
RSForGC around alloca handling.  Your using it in ways I never designed
for, so I'm a bit surprised not to have seen these.  Have you audited
the code and tested the cases you care about?  Having concrete test
cases in tree would make a lot of this discussion easier.)

>> I think it would help if we took a step back, summarized the requirements, and approached this anew.
> The real requirement we have is: A way to construct a managed pointer to a stack location (or any other unmanaged location) such that it is interoperable with other GC pointers.
>
> The way we do it currently is using addrspacecast:
>    %loc0 = alloca i8
>    %1 = addrspacecast i8* %loc0 to i8 addrspace(1)*
>
> I'm wondering if:
> (a) There is a better way to do this to better suite managed-code analysis/transformation phases, and
> (b) If generating the managed-pointer by construction alloca addrspace(1)* is the way to do it.
I would lean towards one of two approaches:
1) Use an addrspace cast.
2) Add a custom out of tree intrinsic which consumes the alloca address
and returns a managed pointer.  The lowering for this would be trivial,
but it would give you a place to customize optimizer behavior if
needed.  It might also make the semantics a bit more obvious in the IR.

The key bit here is that I think Chandler is right.  You are effectively
casting a stack allocation *into* a managed pointer. Having something to
mark that transition seems reasonable.

Of course, having said that all, I'm back to thinking that having a
marker on the alloca would be somewhat reasonable too.  However, I think
we need a much stronger justification to change the IR than has been
provided.  If you can show that the cast based model doesn't work for
some reason, we can re-evaluate.

Worth noting is that we might be better off introducing an orthogonal
notion for tracking gc references entirely.  The addrspace mechanism has
worked, but it is a little bit of a hack. We've talked about the need
for an opaque pointer type.  Maybe when we actually get around to
defining that, the alloca case is one we should consider.

Philip