[llvm-dev] [LLVMdev] [RFC] Developer Policy for LLVM C API

James Y Knight via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 27 16:34:30 PDT 2015

On Aug 18, 2015, at 10:41 PM, deadal nix <deadalnix at gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's not get this die. The C API is too valuable to let this die.
>
> I propose the following plan:
>  - Add tests for the current API. This will allow to make sure that everything works and would ensure that changes are made intentionally, nto accidentally.
>  - For area that do not exist in the C API right now, and for which support seems needed, we establish a plan to support it according to current functionality and planned evolution.
>  - It is understood that the C API require more stability than the C++ one as it is often used accross language boundary where type checking cannot be done. On the other hand, no promise of stability is made so LLVM can still evolve at "ludicrous speed". If a change to LLVM cannot be mapped to the current API, the API is updated.

+1 from me, with the additional "no changing existing functions' signatures, replace with new function if necessary" rule.

Perhaps you can make a patch to the DeveloperPolicy document actually writing down your view on the Developer Policy for the C API? Then we never have to debate it again, because it'll be written down for future reference. And, reviewing that patch will give people one last opportunity to object and/or bikeshed. :)

James