[llvm-dev] RFC: alloca -- specify address space for allocation

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 27 14:50:18 PDT 2015

On 08/27/2015 02:40 PM, Swaroop Sridhar wrote:
> Philip: I think there are two separate issues:
> 1) Handling GC pointers stored in stack locations -- tracking their liveness, reporting them to the GC. etc.
> 2) Treating pointers to stack locations as GC-pointers.
>
> I think the two options that you presented here are for solving (1).
Your right.  I was focused on (1), mostly because I don't understand the
challenge with (2).
> I'm trying to solve issue (2) using alloca in addrspace(1).
>
> Basically, we want to create a pointer to a stack location (the location itself may not have any gc-pointers) and give it a type such that it can be used interchangeably with GC-pointers.
Can you explain what you mean here?  Is this an issue with being able to
pass the pointer to a function which expects gc references without
having to bitcast?  Or is there a lowering challenge I'm not seeing?

> Today, we can achieve this by using an alloca followed by an addrspacecast. It could be done in one instruction if the alloca can specify the addrspace of the pointer created.
>
> The advantage of doing this in one step is, for example, that we can check that there are no (other) addrspace(0) -> addrspace(1) casts.
> (introduced inadvertently by user code or compiler transformations).
Is there a reason that your custom verifier can't use metadata or
pattern matching to accept these special addrspace casts of allocas?  We
have a similar custom verifier which uses a metadata based exception
mechanism which has been pretty successful for us. We've had to
occasionally fix a dropped metadata issue, but I think we've hit one or
two of these ever.