[llvm-dev] Query about interpreting native assembly

Ramkumar Ramachandra via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 27 08:41:20 PDT 2015

Hi,

In attempting to fix a bug, I'm stepping through it using lldb, and
recording the assembly output/ register values. The main problem at
hand is to figure out where I am with respect to the source program. I
tried taking the ahead-of-time .ll dump from LLVM and running it
through llc, but the assembly seems to be completely different. Why is
that?

In the past, I used a simple pass to instrument the code to print out
every LLVM instruction before executing it. Then, I could easily
correlate the assembly directly with the last few LLVM instructions
before the crash. However, the bug at hand is sporadic and doesn't
show itself when the instruction-printer is turned on.

I'd appreciate any pointers on how to proceed. Injecting metadata to
get DWARF information is an option, but I suspect it's a lot of work.

Thanks.

Ram