[llvm-dev] buildbot failure in LLVM on clang-native-arm-cortex-a9

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 27 07:10:32 PDT 2015

On 27 August 2015 at 13:58, Daniel Sanders <Daniel.Sanders at imgtec.com> wrote:
> I agree with the principle but 2 days feels a bit short to me since, accounting for time zone differences, it's closer to 1 working day. For example, an email sent at 9am PDT arrives at 5pm BST and (assuming normal working hours) might be read at 9am BST (1am PDT). Daylight savings can also make a difference since timezones that use it don't agree on when it's in effect. The owner taking a single day off is easily sufficient to go past the 2 day limit.

Yeah, that's my feeling, too. But we Philip said, the specifics should
be discussed on a proper RFC thread, at least we all agree on some
threshold being defined.

> However, the main comment I wanted to make is that it would be useful to be able to tell whether the buildmaster has picked up changes or not. I understand that many changes are automatically applied without a buildmaster restart but at the moment it can be difficult to tell when this happens.

If the bot owner changes the master and restart the slave, the old
master will show the slave as offline and the new one as online. As
long as it stops sending emails, that's most of the problem dealt
with. But that leaves a trail of unfinished builds and bloats the
master by collecting commits for a build that will never happen. We
may have to change the logic to stop collecting commits for offline
bots.

cheers,
--renato