[llvm-dev] buildbot failure in LLVM on clang-native-arm-cortex-a9

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 26 10:00:43 PDT 2015

On 26 August 2015 at 17:55, Tobias Grosser <tobias at grosser.es> wrote:
> Reverting is simple. You just comment out the bot in
> zorg/buildbot/llvmlab/master/config/builders.py,
> but you need to notify Galina to trigger a builbot restart. So there is one
> day latency.

This should never be a first action. Only if the owner is not
responsive for days.

Reverting a bot (or moving it to the experimental set) should be a bot
owner's responsibility, well delineated in the documentation.

Only if the owner doesn't care about his/her bot, the community
overrules and disable the bot on the master.

Restarting the master disrupt testing almost as much as breaking bots,
but with all of them failing at the same time. It is a
disproportionate action before the owner has any chance to reply.

The world is round, working hours and weekends are at slightly
different times, and people sometimes take holidays. If we don't give
at least a few days to do something *that* drastic, we'll upset our
testing beyond recognition, and people will give up on being bot
owners. We do not want that.

cheers,
--renato