[llvm-dev] buildbot failure in LLVM on clang-native-arm-cortex-a9

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 26 09:39:30 PDT 2015

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 9:34 AM, Renato Golin via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On 26 August 2015 at 17:27, Tobias Grosser <tobias at grosser.es> wrote:
> > @Galina: It seems this bot is now almost permanently running into a
> > compile-time
> > timeout. Maybe you can fix this by either increasing the timeout or by
> > switching to a cmake/ninja based build as suggested by Renato.
>
> How I fixed my bots:
>
> 1. Remove cmake and ninja from your system. They are too old.
> 2. Download cmake stable sources (3.2+), untar, bootstrap, make, make
> install
> 3. Checkout ninja from github, bootstrap, copy "ninja" to /usr/local/bin
> 4. Install ccache from packages, add ccache to path
> 5. Change the builder to ClangCMakeBuilder like all ARM and AArch64 bots
> now in.
> 6. Restart.
>
> The Ninja+CMake combo has a feature that makes sure you print
> everything without buffering, so the time out works exactly as
> intended: if any single process takes more than that time, it's a bug.
>
> I'm copying Gabor, as AFAIK, his bot is not based on the new
> CMake+Ninja fix, but on an old polling script we had, which makes
> timeouts useless.
>
> Let's try this one first, and only consider any more drastic solution
> after.

*shrug* I haven't looked at whatever specific bots are under discussion,
but I really wouldn't mind/would like if the bots had a more "revert to
green" feel to them just like we have for commits: take a bot offline,
fix/iterate/improve it, see if it comes good, then bring it back to the
mainline.