[llvm-dev] buildbot failure in LLVM on clang-native-arm-cortex-a9

Aaron Ballman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 26 07:36:10 PDT 2015

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 10:32 AM, Tobias Grosser via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> On 08/26/2015 04:12 PM, Renato Golin via llvm-dev wrote:
>>
>> On 26 August 2015 at 15:07, Davide Italiano <davide at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I see frequent timeouts on this bot -- can the timeout be increased?
>>

>> Hi Davide,
>>
>> Increasing the timeout is not ideal. We need to fix the problem in a
>> different way.
>>
>> Our other ARM bots are using CMake 3.2 + Ninja 1.5, which gets rid of
>> one source of time outs (slow testing), so that may be one way out.
>>
>> For now, please ignore any timeout on bots, as they happen not just
>> with this one. :)
>

> What's the problem with increasing the timeout? Asking people to ignore
> buildbot mails does not seem right. If the buildbot is flaky I believe
> the buildbot owner should ensure it shuts up until the problems have
> been resolved and the buildbot has a low false positive rate again.

Yes, please. I would go one step further and ask that authors of flaky
tests with non-deterministic failures should revert those tests until
the problems have been resolved as well. The number of false positives
currently makes it very hard to know what the state of the product is.

~Aaron