[llvm-dev] Scaling to many basic blocks

David Jones via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Aug 22 16:51:49 PDT 2015

A somewhat more general question:

What characteristics of generated IR contribute to poor optimization/code
generation times?

I recently found a pathological case in my own code of data tables that
caused poor performance in the IR verifier.

In general, I am not happy with the performance of LLVM on my code, so I
know I need to do better. But how? I have a few ideas, but trying any of
them could be time-consuming, with no guaranteed return at the end of it.

Currently, I don't emit TBAA metadata. I have a hunch that doing so might
speed up compilation, as alias analyses can be reduced in size, but I don't
know that for sure, or how much of a benefit it would be. Yes, I need to do
this in any case, but if my users complain of long compile times, I'd like
to know what to work on first.