[llvm-dev] Way to guarantee generated indirect call is via memory?

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 21 09:38:02 PDT 2015

The two options listed so far (inline asm and patchable code via
patchpoints/statepoints) are definitely your best options if the call
via memory is a functional requirement.

If you're willing to live with some chance LLVM emits different code,
you could try representing the function pointer as an external global
variable in the Module with the call and then linking it with a Module
which contains the constant value of the global.  My guess - haven't
checked - is that this would generally result in the code generation you
want.  This would mostly be useful for an experiment or an optimization,
not for fulfilling a functional or ABI requirement.

Philip