[llvm-dev] [RFC] Generalize llvm.memcpy / llvm.memmove intrinsics.

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 19 11:47:02 PDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Lang Hames" <lhames at gmail.com>

As one of the people who asked for this, let me add: We currently have code which upgrades the alignment on memcpy intrinsics (because of alignment attributes, assumptions, etc.), and this is useful for making memcpy expand into vector instructions when the source/destination are suitably aligned. It would be useful for this to happen on some targets even if only the source or destination could be upgraded (aligned stores but underaligned loads might still be a win, for example). Currently we can't do this because we can only represent a single alignment. Because we aggressively form memcpy as part of idiom recognition, and emit them in frontends, this comes up more than it would from source-level memcpy calls alone.

Thus, I agree with John (and Lang), so long as we're fooling with the memcpy intrinsic's signature, we should do this too.

> Any thoughts?

I'm strongly in favor of both pieces.

 -Hal

--