[llvm-dev] RFC for a design change in LoopStrengthReduce / ScalarEvolution

Sanjoy Das via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 17 22:35:50 PDT 2015

> Of course, and the point is that, for example, on x86_64, the zext here is free. I'm still trying to understand the problem...
>
> In the example you provided in your previous e-mail, we choose the solution:
>
>   `GEP @Global, zext(V)` -> `GEP (@Global + zext VStart), {i64 0,+,1}`
>   `V` -> `trunc({i64 0,+,1}) + VStart`
>
> instead of the actually-better solution:
>
>   `GEP @Global, zext(V)` -> `GEP @Global, zext({VStart,+,1})`
>   `V` -> `{VStart,+,1}`
>
> where LSR never considers the latter case because it transforms:
>
>   `zext({VStart,+,1})` to `{zext VStart,+,1}`
>
> and, thus, never considers the formula with zext on the outside? Your proposed solution is that LSR should be able to create:
>
>   zext(opaque({VStart,+,1}))
>
> forcing it to keep all extensions as the outermost operators. Is that right?

Yes, precisely.

> Will this interfere with SCEV's ability to prove wrapping properties of those expressions? If so, does that matter?

SCEV won't be able (by design) to prove no-overflow for
`opaque({VStart,+,1})` but it should still be able to prove no
overflow for `{VStart,+,1}` as usual.

> Sure, but fixing LSR by creating a local-handicapping mechanism for
> SCEV seems somehow unfortunate. Are we going to oscillate from picking
> from one part of the solution space to picking from a different part,
> without particular regard for which might be better?

While I found the SCEVOpaqueExpr idea easier to reason with, by no
means am I suggesting that it is clearly the better solution.  :)

Would you rather this be solved fully within LSR instead?

-- Sanjoy