[llvm-dev] RFC: PGO Late instrumentation for LLVM

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 12 11:56:45 PDT 2015

On 08/11/2015 10:11 PM, Sean Silva wrote:
> Philip and Sanjoy, out of curiosity do you guys use your own
> instrumentation placement for PGO? Is an IR-level PGO infrastructure
> upstream something you guys would be interested in?
We have entirely separate infrastructure for this.  An IR-level PGO
instrumentation infrastructure would be of no immediate benefit to me.
Even in the long term, we'd have some restrictions on the profile
collection points which are easy to reason about in the frontend, but
would be hard in the middle end.

Philip