[llvm-dev] [RFC] BasicAA considers address spaces?

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 7 18:13:16 PDT 2015

----- Original Message -----

> From: "Justin Holewinski" <jholewinski at nvidia.com>
> To: "Hal Finkel" <hfinkel at anl.gov>

But you seem to be implying that you'll use different address spaces at the IR level, but that these address spaces will be changed prior to the target seeing them? Or that the target will internally map them all to address space 0 (instead of aborting). If the target knows to do this mapping, it can also understand the aliasing, no?

> So the target would not be able to state that a pointer to global
> memory does not alias a pointer to local memory. But in the source
> language, you do have that information.
And, regardless, you might want to use the associated aliasing information during CodeGen. For information the target can't have, using aliasing metadata seems like it might be a better solution here?

Thanks again,
Hal