[llvm-dev] [LLVMdev] Ideas for making llvm-config --cxxflags more useful

Pete Cooper via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 7 14:13:14 PDT 2015

> On Aug 7, 2015, at 12:32 PM, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 11:30 AM, Pete Cooper <peter_cooper at apple.com <mailto:peter_cooper at apple.com>> wrote:
> I’ve almost finished a patch to add back in either out of line destructors or anchor methods.  We seem to use one or the one, relatively inconsistently.
>
> What i’ve gone for is that if a class already had an inline destructor then i left it alone and added an anchor method.  Otherwise I added an out of line destructor.
>
> That seems possibly the opposite of what might be desired - if the class has no user-declared dtor, it's implicitly inline and possibly trivial (& doesn't suppress implicit move and copy ops (rule of 0/5)) - I'd avoid adding a dtor to a class that doesn't have/need one (& whenever I see empty-bodied dtors I try to remove them - not always possible).
>
> I was probably the first one to use (or at least do a lot of them) the explicit anchors in an attempt to make LLVM -Wweak-vtables clean but never got around to going all the way there. I think Chris Lattner even advocated for not out-of-lining dtors just to make the vtables strong, instead using an explicit anchor. But I'm pretty ambivalent about it. In theory the style guide advocates this for build perf reasons - which would be interesting to test & see if it's actually relevant. If it's a matter of correctness/functionality as this thread seems to imply (but I haven't read it enough to really understand what's being dealt with here, to be honest) then I guess we'll have to decide on some approach... *shrug*
Thanks for the explanation.  I knew we wouldn’t be able to inline the destructors when they are out of line, but i didn’t know about the rule of 0/5 which is also interesting.

So I didn’t really like the look of what I did either which is why i thought it best to explain it.  I’m happy to change over what I’ve done to anchor’s, but its unfortunate that it will then differ from some of the other sibling classes.

Perhaps this is moot* though, if I can get back to finishing the devirtualisation without any perf issues.

* moot for ToT perhaps.  I’m happy to get something for 3.7 if we can work out what it should be.  The options seem to be
- Do nothing to the code, except perhaps change llvm-config as David said
- This patch
- The equivalent to this with anchor’s.

Anyone got a strong opinion which is best, especially as I don’t want to do anything too big for 3.7 at this point.

Cheers,
Pete