[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] Clang devirtualization proposal

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Sat Aug 1 06:33:35 PDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Sanjoy Das" <sanjoy at playingwithpointers.com>

We could do this, but then we'd need to promote these things to first-class parts of the type system (and I'd need to put further thought about how this interacts with dynamically-true properties at callsites and inlining).

The alternative way of looking at it, which is true today, is that @llvm.assume is not removed even when its information is 'used'. It appears, given this example, that this is actually required for correctness, and that dead-argument elimination needs to specifically not ignore effectively-ephemeral values/arguments.

 -Hal

> -- Sanjoy

Hal Finkel
Assistant Computational Scientist