[LLVMdev] libiomp, not libgomp as default library linked with -fopenmp

C Bergström cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Thu Apr 30 15:26:31 PDT 2015

I'm trimming everything - sorry too hard to manage the thread in my
current email client
--
1) I'd rather see a configure time option to change the name rather
than just switching it. It's not user facing and who really cares what

2) Benchmarks - There's SPEC OMP2012, but I'm not sure if a gcc vs
llvm comparison is really going to stress the runtime sufficiently
enough to play the blame game. The retired OMP benchmark may use a
limited enough subset of features to work with llvm+gomp||iomp.. (That
way you could do a 1:1 comparison) - If that does work I'm not yet
confident it would expose any real performance issues in the runtime.
(You'd need to test it on a system with *A LOT* of cores)

There are lowering differences between the internal API as well..

Ancedotal evidence - Intel's runtime (essentially the same code as
"llvm omp") is used by Intel for OMP SPEC submissions as compared to
nobody publishing record setting performance with gomp...