[LLVMdev] RFC: Machine Level IR text-based serialization format

Bevin Hansson bevinh at sics.se
Tue Apr 28 11:09:46 PDT 2015

On 2015-04-28 19:14, Quentin Colombet wrote:
> Personally I would rather not have to write YAML inputs but instead
> resort on the what the machine dumps look like. That being said, I can
> live with YAML :).

YAML is what is suggested in the FIXME for the textual Machine IR, so
that might be the motivation behind Alex's choice.

I sort of agree that it could be better to go with a "proprietary"
format based off of the dumps. This means that a dedicated Machine
IR parser could be implemented for the purposes of library users who
want to open the files. I also think that the dumps are much easier
to diff and read.

There are parts of the suggested YAML format that seem to require some
parsing anyway, like the instruction strings. If YAML is going to be
used,
I think it would be better to let the instructions be encoded in YAML
instead of leaving them as a string, if that makes sense.

/ Bevin