[LLVMdev] Machine Level IR text-based serialization

Alex L arphaman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 10:07:14 PDT 2015

> Hi Alex,
>
>  I plan on developing a text-based, human readable format that allows LLVM
>> serialize the machine level IR (The data structures like
>> MachineFunction, etc. from CodeGen).
>>
>> The motivation for this project is that it will enable easier testing
>> of the CodeGen passes,
>> and will allow developers to run tests that invoke just a single CodeGen
>> pass,
>> or that start from a specific pass (llc's -start-after option).
>>
>> I would be interested in hearing from other people who might be
>> working on a similar
>> project or have ideas in which direction this project should go. I
>> will be posting
>> an initial proposal for the format in a couple of days.
>>

> I have been working on a textual Machine IR for the past few months to
> facilitate both testing and use of the internal Machine IR in external
> tools related to code generation.
>
> The solution we've employed isn't nearly feature complete and it's missing
> a lot of data, including type data and globals/metadata from the IR, but
> it's
> capable of performing the task you describe using -start-after, as well as
> printing the Machine IR after a given pass with -stop-after.
>
> Unfortunately I can't share any code as this is (currently) a closed
> project, but I'd be very interested in hearing about/discussing the
> approach
> to this problem and will be looking forward to hearing more about this in
> the future!

That's great that you've got it working! I would be interested in hearing
more details
about the format and the approach that you chose.

Btw, my proposal is now up:
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2015-April/084932.html.
It's quite high level right now, but I would be interested in hearing your
thoughts on the
proposed format.

Cheers,
Alex.