[LLVMdev] unwind's permanent residence

Saleem Abdulrasool compnerd at compnerd.org
Wed Apr 22 18:31:18 PDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 3:17 AM, C Bergström <cbergstrom at pathscale.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 5:12 PM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org>
> wrote:
> > On 22 April 2015 at 03:40, Saleem Abdulrasool <compnerd at compnerd.org>
> wrote:
> >> So after a bit of a hiatus (sorry, other stuff has been eating up my
> free
> >> time), Id like to pick this up again.  I think that its a matter of just
> >> copying the unwind sources into the right place.  Im hoping to do this
> >> sometime this Friday (or perhaps Saturday).  Any objections?  I can
> probably
> >> try to take a stab with the CMake side of things once the repo is copied
> >> over.
> >
> > Hi Saleem,
> >
> > Thanks for looking at it again, this may simplify the FreeBSD usage of
> > compiler-rt a lot (they still use libgcc_s/eh with it).
> >
> > I imagine that copying the files will be the simple part. More complex
> > will be to make sure that they're built in the same way (so updating
> > both CMale files to add/remove logic), and making sure to move all
> > tests and get them to run when you do a make check on compiler-rt.
> >
> > However, the worse part will probably making sure that both
> > compiler-rt and libc++abi have unwind for a period of time, to allow
> > everyone to migrate whatever they do, and only kill it after a period
> > of time. I'd vote for not having a release with the unwinding code on
> > both places, but having them in trunk for a month or so, with weekly
> > warnings will probably help a lot people that rely on it.
>
> No way - that would be super confusing at best. "they" will have to
> migrate eventually and the sooner that clean cut happens, the better.
> Having a release with both would be a nightmare.

I agree.  Once the files are copied, we should immediately kill the old
copy.  Leaving it in will only confuse everyone.  Where do I commit to?
Oh, I just committed it here and not there.  Trying to reconcile the
divergences afterwards will not end well IMO.

--
Saleem Abdulrasool
compnerd (at) compnerd (dot) org