[LLVMdev] unwind's permanent residence

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Wed Apr 22 03:12:36 PDT 2015

On 22 April 2015 at 03:40, Saleem Abdulrasool <compnerd at compnerd.org> wrote:
> So after a bit of a hiatus (sorry, other stuff has been eating up my free
> time), Id like to pick this up again.  I think that its a matter of just
> copying the unwind sources into the right place.  Im hoping to do this
> sometime this Friday (or perhaps Saturday).  Any objections?  I can probably
> try to take a stab with the CMake side of things once the repo is copied
> over.

Hi Saleem,

Thanks for looking at it again, this may simplify the FreeBSD usage of
compiler-rt a lot (they still use libgcc_s/eh with it).

I imagine that copying the files will be the simple part. More complex
will be to make sure that they're built in the same way (so updating
both CMale files to add/remove logic), and making sure to move all
tests and get them to run when you do a make check on compiler-rt.

However, the worse part will probably making sure that both
compiler-rt and libc++abi have unwind for a period of time, to allow
everyone to migrate whatever they do, and only kill it after a period
of time. I'd vote for not having a release with the unwinding code on
both places, but having them in trunk for a month or so, with weekly
warnings will probably help a lot people that rely on it.

If you start now, we'll have plenty of time to get that done by 3.7,
including dealing with the unknown issues when removing it from libc++
for good... :)

cheers,
--renato